Microsoft launched Bing on 3 June 2009 as a fledgling competitor to Google.
Cut to 2023: Bing currently has 100 million daily active users, a 3.01% share of the global search market, and answers 13.9 billion searches per month.
In fact, Bing AI has already crossed 1 billion chats and Bing ads have generated $12.21 billion in revenue for Microsoft in 2023 alone.
Here, I’ve added the most up-to-date user statistics and facts about Microsoft Bing, with sources:
Key Bing Statistics
- Bing has 100 million daily active users – 56% are males, 36% are in top 25% household incomes, and 73% are below 45.
- Bing holds 3.01% market share compared to Google’s 91.56%. Moreover, 44 million desktop searchers only use Bing.
- Bing website gets 1.2 billion visits every month and receives 26% more branded searches than Google.
- “Google” is the most searched term on Bing with 40.9 million searches per month.
- Bing ads have a click through rate of 2.83% and CPC of $1.54.
- Click-through rate for Bing ads is 50% higher than Google ads while cost per click is 33% lower.
- Microsoft earned $12.21 from Bing search and ads revenue increased by 8% in 2023.
- The new AI Bing chat, launched on 7 February 2023, has received 1 billion chats and created 750 million AI images till date.
Bing Usage Statistics
- Bing has 100 million people using it every day and handles 13.9 billion searches every month.
- China has the most Bing users at 32.95%, with the US close behind at 26.23%.
- As per Microsoft’s market data, most Bing users are young, with 73% under the age of 45.
- 56% users are male and 44% female.
- Bing can be used in 105 languages and is available in 238 countries.
- In September 2023, Bing website got 1.2 billion visits with majority of traffic coming from China.
- According to ahrefs, Google, YouTube, Facebook, Gmail, and Amazon are top 5 searches on Bing globally.
|Rank||Search Terms||Search Counts|
- The most popular Bing searches in the USA are YouTube and Facebook.
Bing Market Share
- In September 2023, Bing has a market share of 3.01% in the global search engine market.
- Google dominates with a market share of 91.65%.
- Other search engines include Yandex at 1.81%, Yahoo at 1.24%, Baidu at 1%, and DuckDuckGo at 0.58%.
- In 2023, Bing’s market share among console users is 27.6%, down from 30.82% the previous year. This data focuses on searches from devices like Xbox that use Bing as a default.
- Every month, Bing processes 13.9 billion searches, while Google handles 207 billion searches.
Bing vs Google Market Share Over Time
Is Bing Taking Away Market Share from Google?
- Bing has not been able to take away significant market share from Google even after launch of its AI co-pilot features.
Bing AI co-pilot was launched in February 2023. Here’s the trend of market share of Google and Bing from Sept 2022 to Sept 2023:
Bing Ads Statistics: Revenue, CPC, CTR
- In 2023, Microsoft has earned 12.21 billion U.S. dollars from search advertising.
- Microsoft’s ad revenues have grown at a CAGR of 12.27% from 2016 to 2023.
- However, Bing ads only contributed 6% to Microsoft’s total revenue of 2022 which stood at $198 billion.
|Fiscal Year||Search Advertising Revenue (in billion $)|
Ads CPC: Bing vs Google
- The average cost per click (CPC) on Bing Ads is $1.54 (33% lower than Google Ads)
|Industry||Average CPC (USD)|
|Finance & Insurance||$1.82|
|Health & Wellness||$1.70|
|Restaurants & Food||$1.69|
Ad Click-Through Rates: Bing vs Google
- Bing Ads have a higher click-through rate of 2.83%, compared to Google’s 1.91% (Source: ThinkOrion).
|Careers & Employment||3.53%|
|Finance & Insurance||3.51%|
|Apparel & Accessories||3.33%|
|Health & Wellness||2.90%|
|Travel & Hospitality||2.83%|
Spending Behavior of Bing Users
- According to Microsoft Advertising data, 32% of Bing searchers spend more online than the average internet user.
- 36% of Bing users earn more than most, falling in the top 25% income bracket.
- Over half of Bing users are married (54%) and have kids at home (59%).
- 34% of Bing users have a college degree.
- A good chunk, 54%, use Bing to research products online.
Bing users have the financial capacity to spend, making them a lucrative audience for advertisers.
Branded Searches: Bing vs Google
- Bing gets 26% more branded searches than Google (Source: Wordstream).
Higher branded searches on Bing offer a significant advantage for small business owners looking to build brand awareness.
Microsoft Bing Valuation
- Bing’s valuation estimated to be around $400 billion, its parent company Microsoft has a market cap of $2.01 Trillion.
|Year||Bing’s Estimated Valuation (in USD)|
AI Bing Chat: Stats & Facts
- Microsoft launched AI powered Bing co-pilot on February 7, 2023.
- New Bing offers various features such as AI chat, image creator, direct answers, and citations. It also has a new language model called Prometheus.
Bing App Downloads
The introduction of Bing Chat has supercharged the app’s popularity, making it a rising star in the app ecosystem.
- Bing app downloads peaked at 102,952 on February 9, up from a daily average of 12,000 (Source: Apptopia).
- Bing mobile app jumped to the #12 spot in the Apple App Store.
- Microsoft Edge climbed to the #3 spot in the App Store.
- Bing Chat faced some challenges with its conversational abilities, such as giving unhinged or human-like responses, which led Microsoft to reduce the chat limit to 5 chats per session and 50 chats per day.
- Microsoft later increased its chat limit to 10 chats per session and 120 chats per day due to user demand.
When was Bing created?
Bing was launched by Microsoft on June 3, 2009.
How much is Bing Worth?
As of 2023, Bing’s estimated value is over $400 billion.
How many users does Bing have?
In 2023, Bing has over 100 million daily users and sees 1.2 billion monthly visits.
What is the second-largest search engine in the world?
Microsoft Bing is the second-largest search engine globally. The highest percentage of Bing users belong to China.
What is the Bing market share in 2023?
According to Statista, Microsoft Bing’s market share in the search engine market is 3.01% in 2023.
- Google Gemini vs ChatGPT: Everything You Need to Know [Dec 2023] - December 6, 2023
- 11 Best AI Video Editors 2023 (with Video Demos) - November 24, 2023
- 10 Best Jobs for Introverts with Anxiety (by an Introvert) - November 23, 2023