GPT-4 is a groundbreaking language model that can perform complex tasks based on image and text inputs. It was launched on March 14, 2023, by OpenAI, a research organization backed by Microsoft.
This article has the most up-to-date GPT-4 statistics, facts, and everything you need to know about Open AI’s latest and greatest large language model.
I have also made a series of short videos discussing the research papers released by Open AI and Microsoft around GPT-4.
Topics discussed in these videos include:
- GPT-4 shows “sparks of AGI”. (AGIs are AIs that can do everything a human can do.)
- GPT-4 can talk to external tools, understand beliefs, and intentions, and navigate nuanced emotional situations (In the paper, it is shown providing solutions to a marital argument)
- Open AI study says jobs with higher educational requirements and higher incomes are most affected by the arrival of GPT-4, while jobs like stonemasons, carpentry, and plumbing are relatively safe.
- GPT-4 + Humanoid robots: What is the latest research and what the future holds?
Key Things To Know About GPT-4/ChatGPT-4 (Plus)
- GPT-4 is a large multimodal language model that can accept both image and text inputs.
- It is a successor to GPT 3.5 which currently powers ChatGPT.
- GPT-4 is available in ChatGPT Plus and via an API waitlist.
- While it can understand both text and images, its output is in text only.
- Some Demo’ed Applications:
- GPT-4 can convert your hand-drawn website mockups into actual website code.
- See your refrigerator contents and tell you recipes you can make.
- Read the tax code and calculate your taxes while citing sources.
- GPT-4 outperforms ChatGPT (GPT 3.5) on most academic and professional exams taken by humans like SAT, GRE, Bar Exams, etc.
- GPT-4 scored in the 90th percentile on the Uniform Bar Exam compared to GPT-3.5, which scored in the 10th percentile.
- GPT-4 is 82% better than ChatGPT/GPT 3.5 at detecting inappropriate requests and has better guardrails.
- GPT-4 was rumored to have 100 trillion parameters vs GPT-3 with 175 billion parameters. But, this myth was debunked by Open AI’s CEO and OpenAI has chosen not to reveal the actual size of GPT-4 yet.
- ChatGPT plugins will be a game-changer for GPT allowing it to talk to external apps like Zapier, Wolfram, Code interpreters, etc. Open AI may have ushered in a new era of AI app stores.
What Is GPT-4?
GPT-4 is the successor of ChatGPT, a popular chatbot that can only answer user queries with text. GPT-4 offers new features such as multimodality, video processing, and faster responses.
- GPT-4 was trained on web corpus data like ChatGPT.
- It was fine-tuned by reinforcement learning with human feedback (RLHF).
- GPT-4 was rumored to have 100 trillion parameters as compared to GPT-3 with 175 billion parameters. But, this myth was debunked by Open AI CEO Sam Altman.
GPT-4 Release Date: When Was GPT-4 Launched?
- Open AI released GPT-4 on 14 March 2023.
- Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI took to Twitter to announce GPT-4.
How To Access GPT-4?
- GPT-4 is available through GPT-4 waitlist and in ChatGPT plus (paid version of ChatGPT).
- All ChatGPT plus users will get access to GPT-4.
- Others can sign up for the GPT-4 waitlist to get early access to its API.
ChatGPT vs GPT-4: How Is GPT-4 Different From ChatGPT?
|Input||Only text||Multimodal accepting both text and images|
|Output||Only text||Only text|
|Model Size||175 billion parameters, Gpt 3.5||Unknown (Rumoured to have 100 trillion parameters but debunked)|
|Availability||Free preview, Paid API||ChatGPT Plus, API waitlist|
|Applications||Language tasks like text summarization, text generation, writing and debugging code, etc.||Language tasks like text summarization, text generation, writing and debugging code, etc. + Analyzing images and drawing conclusions from visual data.|
|Superiority||Better at avoiding inappropriate requests (safer), less likely to hallucinate, superior at exams|
- GPT-4 can accept both image and text inputs whereas ChatGPT could only accept text inputs.
- In other words, GPT-4 can see. (A functionality lacking in ChaGPT or GPT 3.5).
- GPT-4 is a far superior model to ChatGPT or GPT 3.5.
The difference comes out when the complexity of the task reaches a sufficient threshold — GPT-4 is more reliable, creative and able to handle much more nuanced instructions than GPT-3.5.Source: OpenAI blog
What are GPT-4’s Capabilities?
OpenAI has released a technical report on GPT-4 that can be accessed here.
- GPT-4 is:
- More precise. Answers are more relevant.
- More accurate. Facts are less wrong.
- Capable of describing images in detail.
- For example, you could give it an image of the contents of your fridge and it can tell you what recipes you can make from the ingredients.
- Better at editing with a superior ability to spot errors in the text.
- Scaringly good at acing professional tests and exams.
- Better at making jokes.
- See examples of GPT-4 in action in this NYT article.
- GPT-4 is much better at professional and academic tasks than any GPT models that have come before.
|Simulated exams||GPT-4estimated percentile||GPT-4 (no vision)estimated percentile||GPT-3.5estimated percentile|
|Uniform Bar Exam (MBE+MEE+MPT)1||298 / 400~90th||298 / 400~90th||213 / 400~10th|
|SAT Evidence-Based Reading & Writing||710 / 800~93rd||710 / 800~93rd||670 / 800~87th|
|SAT Math||700 / 800~89th||690 / 800~89th||590 / 800~70th|
|Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Quantitative||163 / 170~80th||157 / 170~62nd||147 / 170~25th|
|Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Verbal||169 / 170~99th||165 / 170~96th||154 / 170~63rd|
|Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Writing||4 / 6~54th||4 / 6~54th||4 / 6~54th|
- GPT-4 is much better than GPT 3.5 at avoiding inappropriate, disallowed, and sensitive requests.
We’ve decreased the model’s tendency to respond to requests for disallowed content by 82% compared to GPT-3.5, and GPT-4 responds to sensitive requests (e.g., medical advice and self-harm) in accordance with our policies 29% more often.Source: OpenAI blog
- GPT-4 has a knowledge cutoff date of September 2021.
- It also tends to hallucinate and can give wrong information like ChatGPT.
People’s Reaction to GPT-4
- Despite the rumors about 1 trillion parameters of ChatGPT-4, OpenAI has chosen not to reveal the actual size of GPT-4.
- Experts are disappointed by the closed nature of OpenAI’s GPT-4, saying it is slowing down research.
Apps Using GPT-4
- ChatGPT Plus will have GPT-4.
- BeMyEyes, an app for the visually impaired, will also integrate GPT-4’s visual capabilities to serve its users better. Currently, it relies solely on human volunteers.
- BeMyEyes is the first partner of OpenAI’s GPT-4.
What Is OpenAI Evals?
- Evals is a framework for evaluating OpenAI models and an open-source registry of benchmarks.
- You can use Evals to create and run evaluations that:
- use datasets to generate prompts,
- measure the quality of completions provided by an OpenAI model, and
- compare performance across different datasets and models.
GPT-4 is a huge leap forward for natural language understanding and generation, as well as for content creation and consumption. GPT-4 could revolutionize your search experience by allowing you to see videos based on your queries, instead of just text or images.
It could also enable you to create your own videos from text descriptions, such as scripts, summaries, or captions. Imagine being able to watch a movie based on your favorite book, or a video tutorial based on your instructions.
GPT-4 is not just a tool for entertainment, but also for education, research, and business. It could help you learn new skills, discover new information, and communicate better with others. It could also help you generate high-quality content for your blog, website, or social media.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post about GPT-4 and its amazing capabilities. If you want to learn more about GPT-4 and how to use it, stay tuned for our next post where we will show you some examples of GPT-4-generated content and how to create your own. Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day! 🙂
- 53+ GPT-4 Statistics & Facts: Users, Abilities, Limitations (March 2023) - March 14, 2023
- Pictory Review: Things To Consider Before Buying (2023) - February 19, 2023
- WPX Hosting Review: My Honest Experience and Results (2023) - February 14, 2023
A newsletter that sparks joy
Get smarter at building your passion project
You will get one (or two if the content is more) well-researched emails every month about writing better, being more productive, and working faster using AI and other curated tools. You can unsubscribe at any time. Click the button to see past newsletters.
I’ve been featured in: